To maintain consistency of the learning experience for students in the 1:1 ICT Device program, a series of procedures have been established for teachers and students to use in the classroom.
- ICT Devices are brought to school fully charged everyday (refer to ICT Acceptable Usage Policy).
- Students are to bring their ICT Devices to every lesson unless advised by their teacher.
- Teachers will perform random ‘spot checks’ to ensure that the ICT Devices is being used appropriately.
- ICT Devices are not to be left in school bags outside of classrooms. When not in use, ICT Devices should be stored in school bag in a secured locker.
- There will be times when it is not appropriate to use the ICT Devices.
- Students should continue to bring pens and paper to all lessons.
- The playing of games or time wasting activities is not permitted during class time. Disciplinary action will follow for students who continually are found time wasting during learning activities.
- When students are being addressed by teachers, ICT Device screens should be closed.
- Students will be permitted to move around the classroom with their ICT Devices if the lesson content activity requires group work or collaboration.
- Ensure that the sound volume on your ICT Device is set to a level that does not disrupt students and teachers around you.
- Students should provide their own headphones. Sharing of ‘in ear’ headphones is not encouraged
- Do not use the internet when it is not required.
- Use the ICT Devices to complete the appropriate activity rather than using it for your recreational enjoyment (e.g. listening to music).
- Use the print preview, where available. Consider the environment before you print.
- ICT Devices are not to be used during recess and lunchtime. Students require a “break” from the constant use of technology. During these times, ICT Devices are to be stored securely in student lockers.
- The camera function which enables the taking photos and videos is strictly prohibited, unless requested by the teacher for a specific learning activity. All involved in the activity need to be clear about the purpose and relevance of the learning activity. (More information in relation to this point is addressed in the ICT Acceptable Usage Policy, Mobile Devices Use Policy and the ICT User Agreement).
- End of Day Procedures
IMPORTANT! At the end of the day, laptops must be shut down.
- Why? Viruses and malware circulate the internet every day. Security updates for your computer take place when you shut down. This is very important for the protection of your files and personal information.
- Cyber criminals are always looking for ways to steal your information.
- Make the task of obtaining your information more difficult for criminals by shutting down and updating your computer every day.
ICT Acceptable Usage Policy
Mobile Devices Use Policy
ICT User Agreement
- It is essential that students make use of their Emmaus email account and access it daily.
- Use email only when you are asked to or during appropriate times.
- When communicating online to teachers (e.g. for further curriculum support) students will still need to follow appropriate ‘etiquette’ – that is, polite and realistic in expectations.
- Teachers will only be expected to reply to student email in school hours. Further arrangements can be made at a teacher’s discretion.
- Most tasks completed on ICT Devices will be submitted online. Teachers will determine the method of submission of tasks (e.g. Emmlink, the College’s LMS, Portal and Intranet).
- Students are not permitted to use iMessenger or similar messaging capabilities during class time. Teachers will periodically check the use of this App. Consequences can be forthcoming for students who continually misuse this App.
ICT Devices requiring technical support should be taken to the Helpdesk or ITS during class breaks or at the teacher’s discretion.